Re: Alter column length

From: "Brent R(dot)Matzelle" <bmatzelle(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: PG General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Alter column length
Date: 2001-03-23 19:45:54
Lists: pgsql-general

> > I want to alter the length of a column without dumping an
> re-creating the
> > table.
>
> What kind of column?
>
> Offhand I think that hacking atttypmod would be safe for
> varchar(n)
> but not char(n). BTW, you might need to start a new backend
> session
> to see the effects.

BTW, is this sort of added functionality to the ALTER TABLE/ALTER COLUMN in
the queue for an upcoming version of PG? I heard that there was some talk of
an ALTER TABLE <table> DROP COLUMN <col> in the hackers list a while ago. I
I know it's not a production concern b/c I can simply use dump/restore but
I'm just interested if it's coming some day ;)

Brent

---
Brent R. Matzelle
Software Engineer