Re: elog with automatic file, line, and function

From: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ian Lance Taylor <ian(at)airs(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: elog with automatic file, line, and function
Date: 2001-03-20 01:25:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> [010319 18:58]:
> Ian Lance Taylor <ian(at)airs(dot)com> writes:
> > Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
> >> BTW, how does that work exactly? I assume it can't be a macro ...
>
> > It's a macro just like __FILE__ and __LINE__ are macros.
>
> > gcc has supported __FUNCTION__ and __PRETTY_FUNCTION__ for a long time
> > (the latter is the demangled version of the function name when using
> > C++).
>
> Now that I know the name, I can find it in the gcc docs, which clearly
> explain that these names are not macros ;-). The preprocessor would
> have a tough time making such a substitution.
>
> However, if the C99 spec has such a concept, they didn't use that name
> for it ...
My C99 compiler (SCO, UDK FS 7.1.1b), defines the following:
Predefined names

The following identifiers are predefined as object-like macros:

__LINE__
The current line number as a decimal constant.

__FILE__
A string literal representing the name of the file being compiled.

__DATE__
The date of compilation as a string literal in the form ``Mmm dd
yyyy.''

__TIME__
The time of compilation, as a string literal in the form
``hh:mm:ss.''

__STDC__
The constant 1 under compilation mode -Xc, otherwise 0.

__USLC__
A positive integer constant; its definition signifies a USL C
compilation system.

Nothing for function that I can find.

LER

> regards, tom lane

Larry Rosenman http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 972-414-9812 E-Mail: ler(at)lerctr(dot)org