Re: Performance monitor signal handler

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Samuel Sieb <samuel(at)sieb(dot)net>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance monitor signal handler
Date: 2001-03-17 20:10:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > But per-table stats aren't something that people will look at often,
> > right? They can sit in the collector's memory for quite a while. See
> > people wanting to look at per-backend stuff frequently, and that is why
> > I thought share memory should be good, and a global area for aggregate
> > stats for all backends.
>
> >> I think you missed the point that somebody made a little while ago
> >> about waiting for functions that can return tuple sets. Once we have
> >> that, the stats tables can be *virtual* tables, ie tables that are
> >> computed on-demand by some function. That will be a lot less overhead
> >> than physically updating an actual table.
>
> > Yes, but do we want to keep these stats between postmaster restarts?
> > And what about writing them to tables when our storage of table stats
> > gets too big?
>
> All those points seem to me to be arguments in *favor* of a virtual-
> table approach, not arguments against it.
>
> Or are you confusing the method of collecting stats with the method
> of making the collected stats available for use?

Maybe I am confusing them. I didn't see a distinction in the
discussion.

I assumed the UDP/message passing of information to the collector was
the way statistics were collected, and I don't understand why a
per-backend area and global area, with some kind of cicular buffer for
per-table stuff isn't the cheapest, cleanest solution.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us