Re: How to shoot yourself in the foot: kill -9 postmaster

From: Samuel Sieb <samuel(at)sieb(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to shoot yourself in the foot: kill -9 postmaster
Date: 2001-03-06 21:56:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 12:46:24PM -0800, Nathan Myers wrote:

> On Linux, /usr/src/linux/include is meaningless for anything in userland;
> it's meant only for building the kernel and kernel modules. That Red Hat
> tends to expose it to user-level builds is a long-standing bug in Red
> Hat's distribution, in violation of the File Hierarchy Standard as well
> as explicit instructions from Linus & crew and from the maintainer of the
> C library.

Red Hat's Fisher Beta has split the 2 includes, which caused an error trying
to compile a (I guess badly configured) kernel module. The header files in
/usr/include now give an error if you try to build a kernel module that gets
header files from there.

So whether they were wrong in the past or not, they are now doing things the
way you say is proper.