Re: PostgreSQL packages for Debian potato

From: will trillich <will(at)serensoft(dot)com>
To: General PostgreSQL discussion list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL packages for Debian potato
Date: 2001-02-28 19:36:51
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 02:59:26PM +0200, Alessio Bragadini wrote:
> [Sorry for the late reply]
>
> Doug McNaught wrote:
>
> > What's wrong with getting the source debs for 7.0.x and building them
> > on your Potato system?
>
> Well, nothing per se, but first, personally I have little or no
> experience to adapt a woody package to the potato structure, even if I
> believe there is no much to do in 7.0.2->7.0.3. Yes, I am lazy and I
> wanted to back up on some other people's work. :-)
>
> More important, I wanted a general overview of the problem of "tracking
> updated PostgreSQL packages while running Debian stable" because I
> believe this can become quite a problem. Hopefully 7.1 will be out in a
> few weeks, but in meantime Debian proposes 6.5.3 and woody won't become
> stable for quite some months - and I am not even sure it will include
> 7.1. I wanted to know what is in the plans of other people who like to
> run an updated version of PostgreSQL and in the meantime not to break
> Debian system.

hi, fellow debianmonger... :)

you may already know, but in case you don't, here's a
sources.list line for the 7.0.3 version of postgresql that's
potato-friendly:

# postgresql 7.* -- for potato?
deb http://www.samfundet.no/~tfheen/debian potato main

then

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

or, for completeness,

% apt-get install postgresql-pl postgresql-dev
% perl -MCPAN -e shell
cpan> install DBD::Pg
cpan> look DBD::Pg
% setenv POSTGRESQL_LIB /usr/lib/postgresql/lib
% setenv POSTGRESQL_INCLUDE /usr/include/postgresql
% perl Makefile.PL
% make
% make install
% ^D
cpan> q
%

you'll need to recompile DBD::Pg with the new postgresql-dev
headers so perl's $dbh=DBI->connect("dbi:Pg:dbname=something")
will work again.

i originally jumped on board 7.0.3potato because of the embedded
perl but it's not actually present; however, rules and triggers
and a host of other nice features make the jump worthwhile.
and built-in perl will show up soon, i'm confident.

just make SURE you get a healthy schema/data dump first, tho... :)

--
It is always hazardous to ask "Why?" in science, but it is often
interesting to do so just the same.

will(at)serensoft(dot)com