Re: vacuum and backup

From: "Brent R(dot) Matzelle" <bmatzelle(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vacuum and backup
Date: 2001-02-27 19:05:54
Lists: pgsql-general

--- Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com> wrote:
> "Brent R. Matzelle" <bmatzelle(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
>
> > > 3) Has anyone written some shell scripts to do vacuum and
> > > backup?
> > > I will have to write some but am not conversant with shell
> > > scripts and
> > > would greatly appreciate any help.
> >
> > You would probably be better off writing your scripts in a
> > system language such as Python or Perl. Here is an excerpt
> from
> > a basic Python backup program I wrote (uses pg_dump &
> > postgresql-python) that does just that.
>
> I don't know; I think shell scripts are quite adequate for
> backup and
> VACUUM (especially since 7.x comes with the 'vacuumdb'
> program). I'm
> a big Perl hound, but for something that just kicks off a
> couple of
> existing programs I think Perl and Python are overkill.

I was merely suggesting a more scalable method for database
administration. It seems that whenever I create a simple shell
script to do something I quickly outgrow it in favor of
something more manageable. With Perl and Python I am in total
control. Forgive me, but I am a developer at heart ;)

Brent