strategies for keeping an audit trail of UPDATEs

From: Louis-David Mitterrand <cunctator(at)apartia(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: strategies for keeping an audit trail of UPDATEs
Date: 2001-02-20 17:27:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

In our app we must keep a trace of all changes (UPDATEs) done to an
important_table, so that it's possible to get a snapshot of a given
record at a given date.

The implementation strategy we are thinking about:

1. create an important_table_archive which inherits from
important_table,

2. create a trigger ON UPDATE of important_table which automatically
creates a record in important_table_archive containing only the UPDATEd
fields on the original record along with the modification date and
author and the primary key,

Is this a viable strategy for that kind of requirement? Is there a
better, more orthodox one?

Thanks in advance,

--
PANOPE: Dj mme Hippolyte est tout prt partir ;
Et l'on craint, s'il parat dans ce nouvel orage,