COPY isn't working right for me

From: "Jeff S(dot)" <pgsqluser(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: COPY isn't working right for me
Date: 2001-02-13 15:28:30
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have a tab delimited file that I'm trying to import
into an empty table.

I've set the table up as follows:

create table member (
member_id serial not null,
fname varchar(25) not null,
lname varchar(25) not null,
member_since date not null,
Primary Key (member_id)
);

My member.txt file looks like this:

Joe Smith 2000/01/14
Frank Jones 2000/06/21
Mike Davis 2000/09/24

Here's the copy command I use:

COPY member FROM '/tmp/member.txt';

But I'm getting the following error:

ERROR: copy: line 1, pg_atoi: error in "Joe": can't
parse "Joe"

I'm assuming this has to do with the member_id with
type serial. How do I import into this without having
to add the OID's to each of the rows in the text file?