command-line option for logfile

From: Fred Yankowski <fred(at)ontosys(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: command-line option for logfile
Date: 2001-02-05 17:18:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

A command-line option for specifying the logfile would be very helpful
on WIN32.

When setting up PostgreSQL to run as an NT service, the only way I can
see to redirect stdout/stderr to a file is to invoke postmaster via a
wrapper sh/bash process. I suspect that this wrapper process would
have to hang around as long as postmaster is running, although it
might be possible to do an exec to overlay it. It would be nice to
avoid this wrapper process.

--
Fred Yankowski fred(at)OntoSys(dot)com tel: +1.630.879.1312
Principal Consultant www.OntoSys.com fax: +1.630.879.1370