build WIN32 ODBC using VC++, not Cygwin/gcc

From: Fred Yankowski <fred(at)ontosys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: build WIN32 ODBC using VC++, not Cygwin/gcc
Date: 2001-02-05 17:04:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-odbc

To build the PostgreSQL ODBC driver from CVS (or a recent
snapshot/beta, I presume): the following steps worked for me:

+ Make sure that the psqlodbc.def file in interfaces/odbc is exactly
as distributed or obtained from CVS, not the result of some prior build.

+ Run 'configure' _without_ '--with-odbc' to build PostgreSQL.

+ Follow the steps in interfaces/odbc/readme.txt to build the ODBC DLL
using MS Visual C++.

Building with '--with-odbc' will appear to work, but the resulting DLL
(created by Cygwin gcc/tools) completely fails to work for me once
installed. (It would have been nice if the documentation gave a hint
about this. Or did I miss it? The presense of the readme.txt file
does not suffice to make it clear that VC++ is the _only_ correct way
to build the module for WIN32.)

I also got confused when first building the DLL from VC++, because my
prior efforts using '--with-odbc' left behind a psqlodbc.def file that
is incorrect. My thanks to Hiroshi Inoue for helping me get past this.

--
Fred Yankowski fred(at)OntoSys(dot)com tel: +1.630.879.1312
Principal Consultant www.OntoSys.com fax: +1.630.879.1370