Re: trying to back up a database

From: Adam Haberlach <adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com>
To: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Adam Haberlach <adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: trying to back up a database
Date: 2001-02-01 07:48:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 11:27:18PM +0000, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> Adam Haberlach wrote:
> > I'm trying to back up a database, including the user records. If
> >I use pg_dump, I can get the table, but I cannot seem to be the user
> >information.
>
> pg_dump -d database >dump
>
> should copy the database schema and all data records into dump.
>
> > If I use pg_dumpall, it seems to have trouble connecting to various
> >databases (in fact, it attempts to connect even if I merely want the
> >help page).
>
> I don't know what you mean by the last bit. Are you saying that `man
> pg_dumpall'
> runs pg_dumpall?

Sorry--I mean that when I type "pg_dumpall -h, it connects", but I guess
that is because it is a simple script.

> pg_dumpall must be run by postgres, it may well have problems if you
> are running it as an unprivileged user.

Aha. That may be my problem, then.

[adam(at)pinko docs]$ pg_dumpall valhalla -u -s > dbschema.sql
Password: psql: Password authentication failed for user 'adam'
Password: psql: Password authentication failed for user 'adam'
Password: psql: Password authentication failed for user 'adam'
Password: Password: psql: Password authentication failed for user 'adam'
Connection to database 'valhalla' failed.
fe_sendauth: no password supplied

--
Adam Haberlach |A cat spends her life conflicted between a
adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com |deep, passionate, and profound desire for