Re: select fails on indexed varchars.

From: Alex Krohn <alex(at)gossamer-threads(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: select fails on indexed varchars.
Date: 2001-01-27 00:03:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

> > So I added:
> > LANG=C
> > LC_ALL=C
> > to the /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgres file and stop, restarted the server. I
> > then dropped and recreated the database. However still same results.
>
> LC_COLLATE overrides LC_ALL, I think --- didn't you previously show us
> that all the LC_xxx family variables were set in your default
> environment? You may need to set (or unset if you prefer) all of 'em.
>
> Also, I'd really recommend an initdb, not the above half-baked approach,
> because the above will not fix any problems that the template1 indexes
> might have with a changed sort order.

I added to the startup file:

LANG=C
LC_CTYPE=C
LC_NUMERIC=C
LC_TIME=C
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY=C
LC_MESSAGES=C
LC_ALL=C

as well as to the postgres users default environment. I then shut down
postmaster, and as user postgres ran `initdb /var/lib/pgsql`. I then ran
/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgres start as root, and then as user postgres ran
`createdb mytest`.

After this, my create test and select still produced the same error. Ugh.

Cheers,

Alex