Re: SourceForge & Postgres

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SourceForge & Postgres
Date: 2001-01-25 21:51:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tim Perdue wrote:
> I thought the hackers team would be interested in knowing that SourceForge, as
> of Friday evening, is running on Postgres. Some 95,000 users and 12,500 Open
> Source projects are depending on your stuff, so I hope it's going to be stable
> for us. ;-)

Tim,

the PG core team is wondering if SourceForge might still be
running on a snapshot prior to BETA3, because there is a
major bug in it that could result in a complete corruption of
the system catalog.

The bug is that the shared buffer cache might mix up blocks
between different databases. As long as you only use one
database, you're fairly safe. But a single 'createdb' or
'createuser' on the same instance, which is connecting to
template1, could blow away your entire installation. It is
fixed in BETA3.

My personal recommendation should be clear.

Jan