Looking for info on Solaris 7 (SPARC) specific considerations

From: Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Looking for info on Solaris 7 (SPARC) specific considerations
Date: 2001-01-23 15:38:31
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

I am faced with the task of installing, configuring, and tuning my
database, which is currently running under Linux, under Solaris 7 on a
brand-new and shiny Sun UltraSPARC (3 CPUs, 768 MB RAM), because the sysadmin at the site
hasn't used or installed PostgreSQL and would rather have me do it. Is
this actually supported? The FAQ (the one bundled with the 7.1 beta3
which I'll be using) lists only:

sparc_solaris - SUN SPARC on Solaris 2.4, 2.5, 2.5.1

If it is supported (I don't suppose a little OS version number increment
would make a differnce here), I've never used Solaris or anything other
than Intel-based hardware and am looking for some info on what to watch
out for and consider when installing and tuning PostgreSQL on Solaris on
a SPARC plattform. Aside from the shared memory stuff in the Admin
Guide, I haven't found anything so far. Particularly, I would expect
that you could gain a significant performance boost from running the
database on a 64 bit plattform (without knowing exactly why, only
picking up on word-of-mouth and assorted hype on 64 bit architectures).
How do you get the most out of it? Would I use gcc or the native Sun
compiler (how do you control that anyway)?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Frank