Re: curval was Re: is PG able to handle a >500 GB Database?

From: Florent Guillaume <efgeor(at)noos(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: curval was Re: is PG able to handle a >500 GB Database?
Date: 2001-01-21 14:39:49
Lists: pgsql-general

> > On a different note. OID's are not guaranteed to be unique within a table?
>
> Not unless you put a unique index on its OID column. Of course, you
> won't actually see a conflict until you've been running your database
> long enough to wrap around the OID counter...

I think it would be a good thing to update the documentation, because
it's misleading at best :

oid
stands for the **unique** identifier of an instance which is added
by Postgres to all instances automatically. Oids **are not reused**
and are 32 bit quantities.

Bruce's book even starts a section with :

Every row in POSTGRESQL is assigned a **unique**, normally invisible
number called an object identification number (OID). When the software
is initialized with initdb, a counter is created and set to
approximately seventeen-thousand. The counter is used to **uniquely**
number every row. Although databases may be created and destroyed, the
counter continues to increase. It is used by all databases, so
identification numbers are always **unique**. **No two rows in any table or
in any database will ever have the same object ID.**

(emphasis mine)

Florent
--
<florent(dot)guillaume(at)mail(dot)com>