Alternate Location

From: Jason Davis <jdavis(at)tassie(dot)net(dot)au>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Alternate Location
Date: 2001-01-15 06:33:08
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm having some trouble getting the alternate location option for createdb
to work. I have an environment variable PGDATA2 which contains the value
"/u2/pgdata" which is a directory owned by pgsql and is writeable. The
initlocation script worked ok but when I try to createdb test -D 'PGDATA2'
with or without single quotes I keep getting the "invalid path" error
message, no matter what permissions I give the directories. My base install
is in /usr/local/pgsql and my platform is FreeBSD.

It has in fact created a "base" directory under my /u2/pgdata directory
with permissions 700 and that's as far as it gets. I can write under
/u2/pgdata with the pgsql account. Am I missing something basic?

cheers

Jason Davis
Database Administrator/Programmer
Tas Access