Re: BAcking up a Postgres Database

From: "Dr(dot) Hans-Christian Waldmann" <waldmann(at)samson(dot)fire(dot)uni-bremen(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BAcking up a Postgres Database
Date: 2001-01-11 07:28:37
Lists: pgsql-admin

> Will the postgres community ever consider creating a decent backup
> capability. Currently the way to create backups is through a Cron job.
> For Postgres to ever be considered a true production systen then some
> sort of transactional tracing has to be done. Otherwise you risk the
> potential of losing quite a bit of data.
>
> Dave Johnson

Who says that fancy user interfaces to backup services and schedule managers,
do any other thing than setting up a big big crontab file ?? This is just
what ADABAS or SAPDB do (and we should consider R/3-enabled dbs production
systems !?).

Hans

PD Dr. Hans C Waldmann
Methodology & Applied Statistics in Psychology & the Health Sciences

ZFRF / University of Bremen / Grazer Str 6 / 28359 Bremen / Germany
waldmann(at)samson(dot)fire(dot)uni-bremen(dot)de / http://samson.fire.uni-bremen.de

friend of: AIX PERL POSTGRES ADABAS SAS TEX