Problem with apostrophes in TK frontend

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem with apostrophes in TK frontend
Date: 2000-12-21 17:14:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hramrach (hramrach(at)centrum(dot)cz) reports a bug with a severity of 2

Short Description
Problem with apostrophes in TK frontend

Long Description
I tried to enter data using pgaccess but I was unable to enter any text containing ' (apostroph). Portgres writes:

ERROR: Unterminated quoted string

When I enter "\'" - apostroph preceded by a backslash, the text is
inserted. When the table is reopened, it's displayed without the backslash. I tried several tables. In table with single varchar column the error message was "Unterminated qouted string", more complicated records generated more confusing errors.

I'm using Postgres 7.1 beta 1 on a RedHat 6.0 system with Tcl/Tk 8.0
(it's written in the manpage - I don't know how get the version from
tcl/wish).

Sample Code
An examle copied from sql window - the text is apparently incorrectly quoted:

insert into "tab1" ("taet","text","text2","id") values ('skldgj 'dgk dlf','dgsdfkl gh ;sdfgh dlfkgh','dfl;sj gkl;j','456464654')

ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "dgk"

No file was uploaded with this report