Re: Postgresql on FreeBSD

From: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>
To: Nelio Alves Pereira Filho <nelio(at)ifx(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql on FreeBSD
Date: 2000-11-20 15:33:47
Lists: pgsql-general

* Nelio Alves Pereira Filho <nelio(at)ifx(dot)com(dot)br> [001120 07:09] wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I came from linux and I'm not used to FreeBSD, so this might just be a
> bsd question at all.
>
> I installed the postgresql-7.0.2 port (make install), and then tried to
> run the daemon, but it wouldn't. Finally, I got this error message:
>
> Waiting for postmaster starting up..IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed
> (Permission denied) key=5432010, size=144, permission=700
> This type of error is usually caused by an improper
> shared memory or System V IPC semaphore configuration.
> For more information, see the FAQ and platform-specific
> FAQ's in the source directory pgsql/doc or on our
> web site at http://www.postgresql.org.
> IpcMemoryAttach: shmat failed (Permission denied) id=65536
> FATAL 1: AttachSLockMemory: could not attach segment
> ..
>
> I checked the kernel, and it's compiled with SYSV IPC.
> Does anyone know what it is? Again, sorry if it's an out of topic
> question.

*sigh* You didn't describe the machine you're working on at all,
niether hardware (RAM available) nor OS version (of course).

The solution is to increase the amount of shared memory available
to processes.

You'll want to bump up the sysctls:

kern.ipc.shmmax: 4194304
kern.ipc.shmmin: 1
kern.ipc.shmseg: 64
kern.ipc.shmall: 1024

These are also documented in the most recent copies of the
GENERIC kernel config file.

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net|alfred(at)freebsd(dot)org]