Re: AW: Coping with 'C' vs 'newC' function language namesh

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'Philip Warner'" <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: AW: Coping with 'C' vs 'newC' function language namesh
Date: 2000-11-16 17:03:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Actually my proposal would be to not advertise "newC" in 7.1 and do
> some more research in that area until we have a solid and maybe compatible
> interface that also makes the missing features possible
> (multiple columns and rows for return, enter the function more than once
> to retrieve only part of the result if it consists of many rows).

My problem with newC is that I think it is going to cause confusing by
people who create new-style functions and call the language "C". I
recommend making our current code "C" style, and calling pre-7.1
functions "C70", that way, we can still enable old functions to work,
they just have to use "C70" to make them work, and all our new code is
the clean "C" type.

Comments?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us