Re: Using a postgres table to maintain unique id?

From: Dr Frog <drfrog(at)smartt(dot)com>
To: Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>, Poet/Joshua Drake <poet(at)linuxports(dot)com>
Cc: postgres-sql <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using a postgres table to maintain unique id?
Date: 2000-11-13 10:30:55
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 10:44:21 -0700, Steve Wampler said:

> Poet/Joshua Drake wrote:
> >
> > >However, I also use Postgres (7.0.2) throughout this
> > >application and it seems cleaner to me to keep the current
> > >id value in a table and just use postgres to provide access
> > >(with a trigger function to increment the id on access).
> >
> > Why not a sequence?
>
> Can someone show me how to create (and use) an int8 sequence?

create sequnece seq_name ;

there are additional options
start sql and type
drfrog=# \h create sequence
Command: CREATE SEQUENCE
Syntax:
CREATE SEQUENCE seqname [ INCREMENT increment ]
[ MINVALUE minvalue ] [ MAXVALUE maxvalue ]
[ START start ] [ CACHE cache ] [ CYCLE ]
drfrog=#

more info in the docs too!