Re: Unhappy thoughts about pg_dump and objects inherited from template1

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>, Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unhappy thoughts about pg_dump and objects inherited from template1
Date: 2000-11-09 14:47:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> > Where would you store the value if not in pg_database?
>
> No other ideas at the moment. I was just wondering whether there was any
> way to delete it entirely, but seems like we want to have the value for
> template0 available. The old way of hardwiring knowledge into pg_dump
> was definitely not as good.

To make pg_dump failsafe, we'd IMHO need to freeze all
objects that come with template0 copying.

For now we have oid's 1-16383 hardwired from the bki files.
Some 16384-xxxxx get allocated by initdb after bootstrap, so
we just need to bump the oid counter at the end of initdb (by
some bootstrap interface command) to lets say 32768 and
reject any attempt to touch an object with a lower oid.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #