Re: Are you running v7 on Debian?

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Nick Fankhauser" <nickf(at)ontko(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Are you running v7 on Debian?
Date: 2000-11-08 20:43:43
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Nick Fankhauser" wrote:
>Hi-
>
>We're currently running 6.5.3 on Debian 2.2 Linux. I would rather be on V7,
>but chose the older version based on the info at the Debian ports site.
>We're new to this, so we took the easy way out. Now that I've been lurking
>on the mailing lists for a while, I get the sense that there are quite a few
>folks running V7 on Debian without significant problems.

The only reason 7.0 is not in Debian 2.2 is that the freeze came before
7.0 was finally released. I would have much preferred to have 7.0 in the
new Debian release.

>A couple of questions-
>
>1) Are we likely to experience significant problems using the "unstable"
>Debian package for v7.0.2-6? Does anyone have any words of wisdom or
>encouragement based on their experience?

Just make sure you have a good and usable backup and a pg_dump of your
database. It ought to get upgraded automatically, but some people have
had problems.

>2) An informal poll: send me an email (nickf(at)ontko(dot)com) if you are running
>v7.x on Debian. After a few days, I'll send a message back to the list with
>the count of how many folks are using it so we know how many brains are
>working on it if we run into a snag.

Well, I do, of course!

There are 8 Debian maintainers who have offered to help me by forming
a Debian maintainers team for PostgreSQL; this is just getting off the
ground now.

Oliver Elphick
Debian maintainer for PostgreSQL

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver