Re: True ACID under linux (no fsync)?

From: Bruce Guenter <bruceg(at)em(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: True ACID under linux (no fsync)?
Date: 2000-11-01 18:05:35
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 11:16:24AM +0100, Marc SCHAEFER wrote:
> > Just a quickie - I heard that linux does not have a working fsync() call
> At least the manpage for fsync says that it does.

The Linux fsync call (at least on ext2, I don't know if it's a
filesystem semantics issue or a VFS semantics issue) works slightly
different than the BSD call: On Linux, fsync flushes all the file data
and *file* metadata, but doesn't handle the directory metadata.
Directories are treated as seperate files which can be fsync'd
seperately, and need to be if you're adding or removing files
synchronously.
--
Bruce Guenter <bruceg(at)em(dot)ca> http://em.ca/~bruceg/