Help in chosing Db: hierarchical data in tables

From: "Sergei O (dot) Naumov" <naumov(at)r-style(dot)donpac(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Help in chosing Db: hierarchical data in tables
Date: 2000-10-30 13:22:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi!
I am now in the process of choosing a Db for our next project. A central point

is that objects have a distinct tree-like structure (parent-child chains).
My question is whether there is anything I can do in Postgres that could
provide a functionality similar to Oracle's CONNECT BY/START WITH in queries.
Another problem is a performance of such a solution, if it exists.

Basically, my choice is now either Oracle or Postgres but Postgres is more
attractive because it's free and, quite frankly, Oracle would be an overkill
for this particular project.

Thanks much,
Sergei