Re: Updating multiple bool values crashes backend

From: Sean Kelly <S(dot)Kelly(at)ncl(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Updating multiple bool values crashes backend
Date: 2000-10-26 14:23:44
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000 14:14:22 -0400, Tom Lane said:

> > No core there ... any other suggestions?
>
> You probably started the postmaster with a ulimit setting that prevents
> coredumps (ulimit -c 0 or something like that, see your ulimit man page).
> On some Unixen, this ulimit setting is the default for anything started
> from a system boot script. Restart the postmaster with ulimit -c
> unlimited, either by starting it by hand or adding a ulimit call to the
> boot script. Then reproduce the crash to get a core file.

Ok, I sorted that ... I now have a 2Mb core file. Can you
explain how to 'backtrace' it with gdb ... I'm not really a developer
and haven't played with gdb much ... ever ... I've stuck the core
file at http://www.randomfx.net/core.html if you need it.

As someone suggested, I 'pg_dump'ed the database, 'dropdb'ed
and 'createdb'ed it, before reloading. After reloading the results
were the same. I tried this on both the machines running 7.0.2 with
the same results.

> > With respect to GCC errors, '11' normally indicates a hardware
> > problem
>
> Uh, whoever told you that? Signal 11 is SIGSEGV on most Unixen,
> and that just means the program tried to dereference an invalid
> pointer. Almost certainly, we're looking at some software bug
> here, not a hardware failure.

One example can be found on http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/

Thanks for your time and help,

--
Sean Kelly <S(dot)Kelly(at)ncl(dot)ac(dot)uk>
"If 99% is good enough, then gravity will not work for 14 minutes