Re: wrong documentation and others .....

From: David Huttleston Jr <dhjr(at)hddesign(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: wrong documentation and others .....
Date: 2000-10-06 22:58:37
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi Gabriel,
We have been using the postgresql JDBC to serialize classes and have
had no problems since we figured out that the doc's are wrong. I had
to find answers in the source code.
I've attached a class called Shelf which serializes any java object to a
table. Within the code is the schema of a table called tbl_objectshelf which
is suitable as a "shelf". I hope this saves you some time.

Have fun,
Dave

On Thu, 05 Oct 2000 12:59:53 +0200, you wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I have several days working with LargeObject and postgres 7.0.2 and
> I have found many problems. In the first time the postgresql doc is
> wrong, in chapter 58 of PosgreSQL tutorial (JDBC Interfaces) it repot
> who to work with Large Object and give code that is wrong:
>
> File file = new File("myimage.gif");
> FileInputStream fis = new FileInputStream(file);
> PreparedStatement ps = conn.prepareStatement("insert into images
> values (?,?)");
> ps.setString(1,file.getName());
> ps.setBinaryStream(2,fis,file.length());
> ps.executeUpdate();
> ps.close();
> fis.close();
>
> PreparedStatement ps = con.prepareStatement("select oid from
> images where name=?");
> ps.setString(1,"myimage.gif");
> ResultSet rs = ps.executeQuery();
> if(rs!=null) {
> while(rs.next()) {
> InputStream is = rs.getBinaryInputStream(1);
> // use the stream in some way here
> is.close();
> }
> rs.close();
> }
> ps.close();
>

> InputStream ARE NOT SUPPORTED in JDBC implementation ? and
> "getBinaryInputStream()" really is "getBinaryStream()". I think that it
> is very serious. The other method (that I know) is using LargeObjectAPI,
> but this fail every 9 times of PreparedStatement of setObject() sentence
> and when use LargeObjectManager as in source examples. (I send other
> messages to list)
>

> Has PostgreSQL any way to work WELL with LargeObject.?
>
> Please reply me.
>
> Cheers, Gabi.
>

> --
> Gabriel Lpez Milln
> Facultad de Informtica -Universidad de Murcia
> 30001 Murcia - Espaa (Spain)
> Telf: +34-968-364644 E-mail: gabilm(at)dif(dot)um(dot)es

Attachment Content-Type Size
Shelf.java application/octet-stream 3.0 KB