Re: How Do You Pronounce "PostgreSQL"?

From: Joe Brenner <doom(at)kzsu(dot)stanford(dot)edu>
To: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How Do You Pronounce "PostgreSQL"?
Date: 2000-08-22 02:55:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Jan Wieck wrote:
>
> > The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > >
> > > what's wrong wth "Post-Gres-QL"?
> > >
> > > I find it soooo simple to pronounce *shrug*
> >
> > Mee too. And I'm not sure if anybody pronounces PG the same
> > way. Is it PeeGee or PiG (in which case we'd have the wrong
> > animal in our logo).
>
> Actually, the one that gets me is those that refer to it as Postgres
> ... postgres was a project out of Berkeley way back in the 80's, early
> 90's ... hell, it was based on a PostQuel language ... this ain't
> postgres, its only based on it :(

Personally, I say P-G-Sequel or Post-Grease-S-Q-L.

And I have to say that "postgresql" has one of the worst
names of any software I've ever encountered. I'm entirely
in sympathy with the "suit" who suggested calling it "PG".

I would go further and say that in the near future when some
milestone is reached (say, the addition of outer joins?) it
might be a good idea to mark the occasion with a name change
of some sort.

I cringe at the thought of the hassles involved with
choosing a new name though.

Openbase? Freebase? ACIDtrip?

I think I like "Grease".