Re: Extracting data by months

From: Daniel Kalchev <daniel(at)digsys(dot)bg>
To: John McKown <jmckown(at)prodigy(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extracting data by months
Date: 2000-08-04 05:53:50
Lists: pgsql-sql

Actually, PostgreSQL has specific function for this purpose. The query would
be:

SELECT * FROM table WHERE date_part('month', date_field) = '8';

(example to select month 8)

If you use date_trunc, the selection will be by month/year - that is,
date_trunc('month', date_field) will always result in the 1st monthday of the
month. The year will be preserved.

Daniel