Applying SUM twice in the same query.

From: Rodger Donaldson <rodgerd(at)diaspora(dot)gen(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Applying SUM twice in the same query.
Date: 2000-07-15 05:31:25
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have a table structured:

server_name |server_version |number
-------------------+----------------+------
Apache |1.3.11 | 1
Netscape-Enterprise|2.01 | 1
Apache |1.1.3 | 2

Initially I wanted to extract the total count by server_name; this is pretty
straightforward:

select server_name, sum(number)
from web_servers
group by server_name;

...gives the result I expect.

server_name |sum
-------------------+---
Apache | 64
Draupnir | 1

I also want the total number of of servers. This can be obtained with:

select sum(number)
from web_servers;

Again, works fine. What I really want to do with total is to derive a
proportion of number of server:number of servers, something like:

server_name |number|total
-------------------+------+-----
AiNET Apache | 1| 84
Apache | 64| 84
Draupnir | 1| 84

The problem is, I can't forumlate a query to produce it. The closest I got
was:

SELECT ws1.server_name, SUM(ws1.number) AS number, SUM(ws2.number) AS total
FROM web_servers AS ws1, web_servers AS ws2
GROUP BY ws1.server_name;

...which is producing:

server_name |number|total
AiNET Apache | 19| 84
Apache | 1216| 840
Draupnir | 19| 84

I assume I'm creating a product of the query, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

--
Rodger Donaldson rodgerd(at)diaspora(dot)gen(dot)nz
Driving that fast may also be an autoLART because the acceleration required