Re: Foreign key bugs + other problems

From: JanWieck(at)t-online(dot)de (Jan Wieck)
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Foreign key bugs + other problems
Date: 2000-07-11 22:30:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > Or, you might be able to make a case that you CANNOT shadow a table
> > > that is referenced by a constraint (due to the permanent table constraints
> > > cannot reference a temporary table restriction). Since the creation of
> > > the temp table would break the restriction, it is illegal.
> >
> > Good point. What does the standard say about it? Can a table,
> > referred to by foreign key constraints or referential
> > actions, be shadowed by a temp table?
>
> Maybe we should prevent shadowing of a table that is used as a foreign
> key.

And open another DOS attack possibility? Each user could
potentially create a permanent table of a name used as a temp
table somewhere inside of an application. Then create another
referencing it and boom - the application goes down. Not that
good IMHO.

I think we need to hand OID's to the RI triggers and have
some special syntax to tell the parser that a table or
attribute is named by OID in the actual query.

Will cause alot of headaches for the next pg_dump/restore
cycle.

(Bruce: still waiting for your call)

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #