index idea for system catalogs

From: Brian E Gallew <geek+(at)cmu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: index idea for system catalogs
Date: 2000-06-08 15:06:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

For the unique system indexes, does it make sense to do a hash index
instead of the B-tree?

Also, does it make sense to implement a bitmap index (like Oracle 8i)?
That would work for even non-unique catalogs, although doing it
"right" would be a lot of work.

Is there interest in me looking at doing bitmap indexes (assuming
someone isn't already working on it)?

| JAVA must have been developed in the wilds of West Virginia. |
| After all, why else would it support only single inheritance?? |
| Finger geek(at)cmu(dot)edu for my public key. |