Re: [HACKERS] Oft Ask: How to contribute to PostgreSQL?

From: Louis-David Mitterrand <cunctator(at)apartia(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Oft Ask: How to contribute to PostgreSQL?
Date: 2000-06-01 06:17:12
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 09:23:27PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > 3. Mailing Lists. We use software that allows us to use remote sites for
> > 'mail relaying'. Basically, instead of our central server having to
> > service *all* remote addresses, it offloads email onto remote servers
> > to do the distribution. For intance, by dumping all email destined for
> > a subscribers in France to a server residing in France, the central
> > server has to send one email mesage "Across the pond", and let the
> > server in France handle the other servers. If you are interested in
> > providing a relay point, email scrappy(at)hub(dot)org (me) for details on how
> > to get setup for this.

FWIW this not as good an idea as it seems. I know of many .fr domains
that are hosted in the US. My own .ch is in St-Louis (MI), whereas some
clients' .com are hosted right here in Paris.

This setup is the reason I was unable to get {-hackers,-general} list
traffic for a week because of a faulty "relay" for my Swiss .ch domain,
which apparently refused to relay back to the US where this domain
lives.

Domains are diconnected from geography nowadays, and increasingly as
we go.

--
Louis-David Mitterrand - ldm(at)apartia(dot)org - http://www.apartia.fr

I don't build computers, I'm a cooling engineer.
-- Seymour Cray, founder of Cray Inc.