Re: Applying TOAST to CURRENT

From: JanWieck(at)t-online(dot)de (Jan Wieck)
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Applying TOAST to CURRENT
Date: 2000-05-30 09:38:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > OTOH I don't think it's a good thing to try creating
> > these things on the fly the first time needed. The
> > required catalog changes and file creations introduce all
> > kinds of possible rollback/crash problems, that we don't
> > want to have here - do we?
>
> Well, we could print the message suggesing ALTER TABLE when printing
> tuple too large. Frankly, I don't see a problem in creating the backup
> table automatically. If you are worried about performance, how about
> putting it in a subdirectory.

It's the toast-table and the index. So it's 2 Inodes and 16K
per table. If the backend is compiled with -g, someone needs
to create about 500 tables to waste the same amount of space.

Well, I like the subdirectory idea. I only wonder how that
should be implemented (actually the tablename is the filename
- and that doesn't allow / in it).

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #