Re: MySQL now supports transactions ...

From: "Michael A(dot) Olson" <mao(at)sleepycat(dot)com>
To: Ned Lilly <ned(at)greatbridge(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL now supports transactions ...
Date: 2000-05-24 00:25:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 08:02 PM 5/23/00 -0400, you wrote:

> Apparently by way of some Berkeley DB code....
>
> http://web.mysql.com/php/manual.php3?section=BDB

Yeah, that's correct. As there was no existing transaction layer in
place, it was pretty straightforward to add Berkeley DB. They had
to abstract the ISAM layer that they've used to date, but there were
no serious technical issues.

You can choose which kind of tables you want (myisam or bdb) at
table creation time. BDB tables have the standard ACID properties
that Berkeley DB provides generally, via the standard mechanisms
(two-phase locking, write-ahead logging, and so forth).

The 3.23.16 release is decidedly alpha, but is in good enough
shape to distribute. My bet is that we'll hammer out a few dumb
bugs in the next weeks, and they'll cut something more stable
soon.

You need to download the 3.1.5 distribution of Berkeley DB from
MySQL.com. We're not distributing that version from Sleepycat.
We're in the middle of the release cycle for our 3.1 release, and
expect to cut a stable one in the next week or so. MySQL relies
on a couple of features we added to 3.1 for them, so they can't
run with the 3.0 release that's up on our site now.

It's been pretty quiet since my message on Sunday, about the
difficulties in integrating Berkeley DB with the PostgreSQL backend.
Vadim (and others), what is your opinion? My impression is that
the project is too much trouble, but I'd be glad to hear from you
folks on the topic.

mike