Re: Performance (was: The New Slashdot Setup (includes MySql server))

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Matthias Urlichs <smurf(at)noris(dot)net>, Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance (was: The New Slashdot Setup (includes MySql server))
Date: 2000-05-21 01:57:50
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> Our gripe is not that they're testing an extension we haven't got.
> It's that the test result is misleadingly labeled. It doesn't say
> "EXCEPT with incompatible select lists", it says "EXCEPT", full stop.
> That's deceptive. And no, we do not think it's an honest mistake.
> It's part of a consistent pattern of misstatements that's been going on
> for a long time. Sure, any one might be an honest mistake, but when you
> see the same sort of thing over and over again, your credulity drops to
> a low level. crashme is designed to make MySQL look good and everyone
> else (not just Postgres) look bad.
>
> I'm glad to hear your optimism about cleaning this up. Perhaps you
> can actually accomplish something, but most of us decided long ago
> that crashme is not meant as a fair comparison. We have other things
> to do than ride herd on crashme and try to keep them to the straight
> and narrow, when they clearly have no desire to make it an unbiased
> test and will not do so without constant prodding.

The basic issue is that you can tell us that this big crashme mess
happened by mistake, and that there there was no deceptive intent.

However, really, we are not stupid enough to believe it.

Why don't you find out who wrote this thing, and ask them what they were
thinking when they wrote it? I bet you will find out our perception is
correct.