Re: PostgreSQL cleartext passwords

From: Jim Mercer <jim(at)reptiles(dot)org>
To: David Duddleston <david(at)i2a(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL cleartext passwords
Date: 2000-05-18 19:23:00
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 11:17:10AM -0700, David Duddleston wrote:
> I'm currently evaluating PostreSQL, but this posting regarding passwords
> being stored in cleartext has me a bit concerned. I tried to find more
> information regarding this issue, but with no luck. Could you please share
> you thoughts on this.

by default, the passwords are stored in clear text.

however, if you are configuring passwords, then likely you are going to need
to change settings in pg_hba.conf.

in there you can specify "crypt", and the system will expect that the passwds
in pg_shadow are encrypted.

--
[ Jim Mercer jim(at)reptiles(dot)org +1 416 410-5633 ]
[ Reptilian Research -- Longer Life through Colder Blood ]