Re: How big a database will PostgreSQL support?

From: Marten Feldtmann <marten(at)feki(dot)toppoint(dot)de>
To: Damien Tougas <dtougas(at)converging(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How big a database will PostgreSQL support?
Date: 2000-04-13 05:10:58
Lists: pgsql-general

> Hello,
>
> Also, in terms of database design, am I better off having one big table
> with 10 million rows or 1000 tables with 10000 rows?

In terms of speed I've found out, that on large tables with >1000000
rows the speed of inserts and update may be more critical then the
speed for selects - depending on the indices you've defined for that
table.

If you've more smaller tables the work for insert and updates is
not that problem.

Marten