Re: [HACKERS] Solution for LIMIT cost estimation

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)wallace(dot)ece(dot)rice(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: chris(at)bitmead(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Solution for LIMIT cost estimation
Date: 2000-02-11 15:41:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 10:52:12PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> SQL92 does not define LIMIT at all, so it's not much help in
> deciding what to do. Is there anything in SQL3? What do other
> DBMSes do about this issue? Comments, other variants, better ideas
> anyone?

I know I'm getting in on this late, but I thought I'd answer this.
The SQL92 draft only mentions LIMIT in the list of reserved words,
and once in the index, pointing to a page on lexical elements of SQL.

the SQL3 draft that Chris pointed me at (Aug94) only mentions LIMIT as a
limit clause of a RECURSIVE UNION, whatever that is. (No time to examine
it right now) This is from the file sql-foundation-aug94.txt.

Ross
--
Ross J. Reedstrom, Ph.D., <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer