Re: [GENERAL] using ID as a key

From: "sheila bel" <sheilabel(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: davidb(at)vectormath(dot)com, sheilabel(at)hotmail(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] using ID as a key
Date: 2000-02-05 04:59:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi David,

I like your example below since it is simple enough for
someone who is new to this to implement, but I'm wondering
how the IDs are maintained ? Will it be auto incremented
this way ? Or would I need to write a function to do that ?
Would I be able to view the ID numbers ? I guess since you've
declared it as an integer it is readable by humans.
I want this ID to act like a social insurance number but it
will not be seen or used by anyone except the developer (me).
My database is going to be fairly small ( very unlikely to
ever exceed more than 2000 records ).

-Sheila