Non atomic data types and quantity pricing

From: Jeff Davis <jeff95350(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Non atomic data types and quantity pricing
Date: 2000-01-23 07:45:38
Lists: pgsql-general

I am making a database to store product information. I
am going to need to use quantity pricing breaks
(different prices for buying a lot).

I was first thinking that I should use a seperate
table and, for each product have several rows, which
is how many people do that. But that method seems
somewhat awkward, so I thought an array type would be
a better solution.

However, when I thought about it some more and read
more documentation, I found that the select statements
I would need would be nearly impossible. For example:

I want to get the price for quantity X so i need to
select the greatest value in the array that is less
than X as the quantity break value that applies to
them.

Could someone help me find a solution involving
arrays?

Thanks,
Jeff Davis