Re: [HACKERS] Enhancing PGSQL to be compatible with Informix SQL

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Cc: Rod Chamberlin <rod(at)querix(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Enhancing PGSQL to be compatible with Informix SQL
Date: 2000-01-06 18:20:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I've been wanting outer joins, but in my porting efforts have managed
> to work around them without too much difficulty, even though 6.5's
> limitations on subselects (not in target lists) requires that I
> create PL/pgSQL functions in some cases.
>
> I certainly can't speak for the majority of users, but as one data
> point I'd personally rather see outer joins done right (SQL 92
> syntax) and wait a bit.
>
> Then again, I tend to be a bit of a language purist...

Thomas has tried to explain the ANSI syntax for outer joins, and I must
say I am quite confused by it. A simple OUTER added before the column
name would be a quick and simple way to do outers, perhap get them into
7.0, and allow new users to do outers without having to learn the quite
complex ANSI syntax.

At least that was my idea.