Re: hint unique result fro union

From: "Matteo Bertini" <matteob(at)naufraghi(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: hint unique result fro union
Date: 2006-08-25 18:48:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Yes, the "LIMIT 1" is OK, thanks!

I didn't noticed the "not executed" in the explain output!

I have done some test comparing a plain table and a partitioned table
performance in a particular statistical hypothesis (something explained here
too: http://tagschema.com ).

Mainly, data is produced and asked following an exponential distribution. So
there a few very frequently accessed items and a lot of uncommon items.

Partitioning the two sets in different tables, the performance gain is
interesting only after a few thousand rows.

http://www.slug.it/pgsqlpart

Sorry, the text is Italian, the code (sql schema and python test code) will
be released in a few days (and you will need plpython from CVS if you are
using 8.1), nevertheless pictures are already self explaining :-P
... I have seen a similar benchmark online but I cannot find it now to
compare.

Sorry for my English, and open to comment about my simple benchmark,
Matteo Bertini