Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements 1202

From: "Vladimir Sitnikov" <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "ITAGAKI Takahiro" <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements 1202
Date: 2008-12-05 14:14:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The main benefit is that you can track how EXPLAIN plans change over time.

It is not required to output plan *into* some table to be able track it over
time. If EXPLAIN returns a table, it is up to you to perform "insert into
history select * from explain(...)".

Workflow that does not make sense for me is "look at plans generated _into
some plan_table_ by other sessions in Oracle".
I am 100% sure it really makes sense have some view like pg_execute_plan
that will reveal execution plans for currently running queries (see
v$sql_plan in Oracle). However, I would stress once again I have no idea
what the sense could be in "one session explained into plan_table, while the
other reads that plan".

Does that make sense?

Regards,
Vladimir Sitnikov