Re: Windowing Function Patch Review -> Standard Conformance

From: "Vladimir Sitnikov" <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Hitoshi Harada" <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "David Rowley" <dgrowley(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
Subject: Re: Windowing Function Patch Review -> Standard Conformance
Date: 2008-11-05 03:22:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Even though I understand the definition, your suggestion of COUNT(*)
> OVER (ORDER BY salary) doesn't make sense.

Why does not that make sense?
I have not read the spec, however Oracle has a default window specification
in case there is only an order by clause. The default window is "range
between unbounded preceding and current row".

"count(*) over (order by salary range between unbounded preceding and
current row)" is perfectly identical to the "number of rows preceding or
peers to R" by the definition, isn't it? I see here a word-by-word
translation from SQL to the English and vice versa.

If the patch returns "row_number" it is wrong since there is no way for
row_number to be a "number of rows preceding or peer with R", is there?

Regards,
Vladimir Sitnikov