Re: New trigger option of pg_standby

From: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New trigger option of pg_standby
Date: 2009-03-26 11:54:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Simon.

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Earlier, we discussed having a single trigger file that contains an
> option rather than two distinct trigger files. That design is better
> because it allows the user to choose at failover time, rather than
> making a binding decision at config time. That solution would be the
> ideal one, IMHO, because it gives user more choice - and would allow us
> to keep the -t option meaningfully. In that case the default should be
> patience.

Or you can define both files in your command line to have the choice.

I like the idea of removing -t and adding 2 new options so that people
are warned about the intended behavior.

Anyway, I don't have a strong opinion about how we should fix it as I
don't use pg_standby personnally, just that we should. The two options
you mention have their own merits.

--
Guillaume