Re: PG8.1 - Config file check

From: Chris Hoover <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG8.1 - Config file check
Date: 2005-12-20 15:12:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 12/19/05, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Chris Hoover <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > We are in the process of upgrading our 7.3.4 servers to 8.1, and I
> > wanted to have a sanity check ran against my config file. Do you see
> > any issues with these configs?
>
> > work_mem = 4096 # min 64, size in KB
>
> This seems a bit low in context, although it depends heavily on what
> sort of query mix you expect, which you said nada about.
>
> regards, tom lane

Sorry for got to mention that.

We are running a typical OLTP system with some reporting done against it.

What value would you recommend as a starting point for the work_mem.
This value has come over verbatim from the 7.3.4 installs.

Also, is it safe and/or advised to leave these at these high levels?
maintenance_work_mem to 1GB (1048576)
checkpoint_segements to 256
checkpoint_timeout to 1800 seconds (30 minutes)

Thanks,

Chris