Re: 10+hrs vs 15min because of just one index

From: Aaron Turner <synfinatic(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, PFC <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>
Subject: Re: 10+hrs vs 15min because of just one index
Date: 2006-02-14 23:14:03
Lists: pgsql-performance

Well just a little update:

1) Looks like I'm definately RAM constrained. Just placed an order
for another 4GB.
2) I ended up dropping the primary key too which helped with disk
thrashing a lot (average disk queue wait was between 500ms and 8500ms
before and 250-500ms after)
3) Playing with most of the settings in the postgresql.conf actually
dropped performance significantly. Looks like I'm starving the disk
cache.
4) I'm going to assume going to a bytea helped some (width is 54 vs
66) but nothing really measurable

Thanks everyone for your help!

--
Aaron Turner