Re: XQuery support

From: Matthias Brantner <matthias(dot)brantner(at)28msec(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Scott Bailey <artacus(at)comcast(dot)net>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: XQuery support
Date: 2010-02-17 07:13:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Well, maybe you can answer the questions I had last time I looked at it, namely:
>
>> XQuery is a whole other question. Adding another library dependency is something we try to avoid. Zorba <http://www.zorba-xquery.com/> might work, but it appears to have its own impressive list of dependencies (why does it require both libxml2 and xerces-c? That looks a bit redundant.)
In Zorba, we use libxml2 for parsing XML documents. This dependency is specific to
a particular store implementation. For instance, a store on top of PostgreSQL could use
any parser for importing XML documents.
The xerces-c dependency is used for providing XML Schema support. If you do
not want to provide this functionality in a first step, you can simply switch
it off at compile time and xerces-c will not be required.
The same is also valid for the ICU dependency which is used for Unicode support.
Specifically, Zorba uses it for regular expression evaluation and collation support.

Best regards

Matthias