Re: Removing all users from a group

From: Patrick(dot)FICHE(at)AQSACOM(dot)COM
To: camior(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Removing all users from a group
Date: 2005-08-31 12:05:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi David,

The correct syntax would probably be :

DELETE FROM pg_user
WHERE usesysid = ANY (pg_group.grolist)
AND pg_group.groname = 'somegroupname'

However, you won't be allowed to delete users this way.
The only recommended methods is to use the DROP USER command to remove
users...

One way to achieve this is to use a function, even if easier methods
probably exist...

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION RemoveUsersFromGroup( text ) RETURNS int4 AS $$
DECLARE
_UserGroupName ALIAS FOR $1;

_Username RECORD;
_deleted int4;
BEGIN
_deleted := 0;
FOR _Username IN
SELECT usename
FROM pg_user, pg_group
WHERE usesysid = ANY (grolist)
AND groname = _UserGroupName
LOOP
_deleted := _deleted + 1;
EXECUTE( 'DROP USER ' || _Username.usename );
END LOOP;

RETURN _deleted;
END

$$ LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

--SELECT RemoveUsersFromGroup( 'test' )

Regards,
Patrick

Patrick Fiche
email : patrick(dot)fiche(at)aqsacom(dot)com
tél : 01 69 29 36 18